Hi friends! Some of you may or may not know already, but I have an account on Instagram solely devoted to delicious food and restaurants! I primarily post restaurants in the OKC and Norman areas. But, I like to share restaurants when we are traveling too. I often get asked for restaurant suggestions when my friends and family are in Norman and OKC. So, because of that I wanted to start posting some of our favorite restaurants on here. Billy and I both LOVE Mexican food. It’s 100% my favorite food, hands down. So, in honor of the best food group ever, I thought I would share our favorite Mexican restaurants.
My all time favorite Mexican restaurant is La Fiesta in Ada, OK. When Billy and I were going to college in Ada, we ate there probably once a week. Sometimes more often than that and I’m not totally proud to admit it. But, it’s a little over an hour from where we live now. So, we don’t get to go as often as we like. Because of that, we started branching out and trying other options. Our favorites are listed below, in no particular order! (Disclaimer, we really love Tex-Mex. I’m not sure that I’ve ever had authentic Mexican food, not even when we have traveled to Mexico). So, I’m not claiming to be an expert on the topic, just wanted to share what we love. Also, I judge restaurants on lots of different aspects, not just the food. These are our favorites based on food, drinks, atmosphere and service.
- Tarahumara’s: Tarahumara’s is our go-to Mexican restaurant in Norman. It’s only 5 minutes from our house which can be dangerous. They have the best and fastest service I’ve ever experienced. Their sloppy beers, Coronaritas and Bloody Mary’s are so good. Billy loves their enchiladas and I always get the fajitas. P.s. if you are into OU Football, we always see Bob Stoops and Baker Mayfield here. One time Bob Stoops caught Billy trying to sneak a picture of him, it was hilarious.
- Fuzzy’s: I love Fuzzy’s for their “Poppin’ Woody” drink and nachos. The Poppin’ Woody is a small bottle of champagne poured over into a frozen strawberry marg. The nachos are huge, they come piled with your choice of meat, white queso, garlic sauce and pico.
- Torchy’s Tacos: Torchy’s is still fairly new to Norman. It is a chain restaurant. Torchy’s is known for their unique take on tacos. You can get any taco “trashy” which means take off the lettuce and add queso. Their green chile queso and lime margaritas are so yummy. I especially love their taco of the month feature. Last month it was a fried chicken strip, blue cheese crumbles, bacon, ranch slaw, and drizzle of honey. The flavors are unique and delicious.
- Puebla Tacos Y Tequileria: We’ve only been going to Puebla probably 6 months, but you guys, IT’S LIFE CHAGING! It’s just a small restaurant on Main Street by The Garage. I wouldn’t have ever realized it was such a gem if it weren’t for Yelp. I read the reviews and decided to try it. Haven’t looked back since! Their margaritas are so so so good (and strong). They don’t use cheap liquors or mixes. They have delicious street tacos and white queso loaded with brisket. It’s definitely a treasure in downtown Norman.
- Mama Roja’s: We started going to Mama Roja’s a lot when we lived in Edmond. Lake Hefner was about a 10 minute drive from our house. I love the atmosphere there. We always ask for a table overlooking the lake. It’s gorgeous! The patio is great during summer. I like to get their house margaritas, loaded queso and cheese crisps!
- The Lazy Donkey: Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a sucker for white queso. It is my absolute favorite thing in the world. When I lived in Stillwater, we always had easy access to white queso via El Vaq or El Tap. Even in Tish, La Fiesta in Ada or El Tap in Ardmore or Durant were always a close drive. But since living in Norman, we haven’t found a Mexican restaurant that has the creamy deliciousness that is white queso. That is, until I discovered The Lazy Donkey. This place is tiny and not in the best neighborhood, but they have the good stuff. The margaritas and food are good. But the queso is the best part to me. Below is a pineapple, stuffed full of steak, chicken, shrimp, peppers, onions and pineapples, covered by cheese.
- Barrios: Barrios is a great place to go if you’re in the mood for a different take on Mexican food. It’s an adorable place, very esthetically pleasing and insta-worthy. They have one of my favorite patio’s in OKC. Drinks and atmosphere get an A+ from me. I also really like their shrimp fajitas and queso fundido.
- Chuy’s: I first tried Chuy’s in Texas and don’t remember being that impressed. But recently we’ve been going to the one in Norman and we really like it. I love all of their sauce choices.
- 3 Tequilas: 3 Tequilas is not my favorite restaurant on this list, but when we lived in Edmond I felt like the Mexican restaurants were really lacking for the most part. 3 Tequilas won me over with their massive margaritas and of course, white queso.
- Ted’s: Ted’s is honestly a no-brainer for me. I know it’s not the most authentic Mexican food, but those fresh flour tortillas smothered in butter get me every. single. time.